Carol and Ralph Kuiper
After growing up in Southern California, Carol and Ralph met at Stanford University and after several career and educational stints between Southern California and Stanford, they settled in Los Altos in 1973, 43 years ago. Ralph was an engineering manager and executive in the Aerospace industry finishing as the Director of Research in the Lockheed Martin Palo Alto Technology Center. Carol was a high school English and Journalism teacher and finished her career at Gunn High School in Palo Alto.
Both feel privileged to live in a community that values service and philanthropy and offers a great environment to grow and raise a family. They are enthusiastic and long-time supporters of the Los Altos Community Foundation.
Their three children graduated from Los Altos High School: Jennifer ’83—BA, Stanford, MA, UC Berkeley—is an independent consultant evaluating USAID programs in the Middle East. Heather ’85—BA, Stanford, MA, Johns Hopkins, Doctorate of Public Health, UC Berkeley—is a full-time volunteer and mom and part-time consultant. Skot ’88—BA, Long Beach State, film & video production, manages warehouse space and served on the San Francisco Arts Advisory Sub-committee. Heather is married to LAHS graduate, Loren Rauch, ’85—BS, UC Berkeley, MD, UCSF—an emergency room physician and son of Los Altos residents, Margie and Herb Rauch. Their two children and Carol and Ralph’s grandchildren are Milo 13 and Cordelia 10.
Carol’s Volunteer Activities
1. President, California Retired Teachers Association, Mid-Pen, Division 54
2. Secretary, Board of the LWV-Los Altos-Mountain View Area
3. Neighborhood Co-Coordinator, Block Action Team (BAT) 111
4. Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Trainee
5. Secretary, Board Peninsula Democratic Coalition, Voter Registration
6. Former Board member, GreenTown Los Altos
7. Former Los Altos School District Board of Trustees – two terms (81/2 years)
8. Former Girls Scout Leader and Area Girl Scout Council Chair, Cub Scout Den Mother
9. From an area perspective, she also served on the boards of the Palo Alto Women’s Club
and Garden Club
10. Former Sunday School Teacher, Los Altos United Methodist Church
11. Most proud of: working with the community to maintain an excellent elementary school
district in the face of Proposition 13 funding challenges.
Ralph’s Volunteer Activities
1. Chairperson for the Peninsula Chapter of the World Affairs Council (11 Years)
2. Board of the Los Altos Stage Company (6 yrs)
3. League of Women Voters National Committee on Arms Control Policy
4. Leader of Lockheed Junior Achievement Program (4 Years)
5. Represented Lockheed on the Stanford Engineering Advisory Committee and the
Stanford Integrated Manufacturing Association
6. AYSO Commissioner and coach (9 Years) and referee (10 Years), planned, funded and
supervised construction of Santa Rita Soccer Field
7. YBA Basketball Coach (10 Years)
8. Indian Guide organizer
9. Most proud of: Establishing a speaker series to inform and engage the public in matters
of international interest and concern