Both the scholars and their mentors began the evening with a delicious dinner at PastaQ in Mountain View. Following the dinner, everyone strolled over to Books, Inc for some post-Xmas book shopping, socializing and desserts.
The scholars and mentors each received a $10 gift certificate to be used towards any book purchased that evening. And Books Inc. donated 20% of all proceeds to the MVLA Community Scholars.
MVLA Community Scholars improves the economic mobility and quality of life of local, high-potential, underserved youth by providing scholarships to make college accessible and individual mentoring to make a four-year degree achievable.
Who are Scholars?
- 30% male/70% female
- 36% two-year schools/64% four-year schools
- 95% in state/5% out of state
- 11% private colleges/89% public institutions
- 92% in college/8%stopped out, but still in program
- Average GPA 3.1
- Average Household income: $35,000
- 97% First generation in family to attend college