What is planned giving?
Through Planned Giving, you can create your personal legacy and make a meaningful impact for which you’ll be remembered forever. Your planned gift to LAMV-CF helps your community, preserves its rich heritage, addresses the needs of future generations, and provides consistent support for local nonprofits.
In addition to helping the community, your planned gift helps you. It's stress-free because, with planned gifts, you don’t need to worry about running out of money during your lifetime. Planned gifts can significantly enhance your financial or tax situation, provide guaranteed income, and/or help your heirs through tax incentives.
LACF will work closely with you to discuss the planned giving options that best meet your needs and fulfill your philanthropic wishes. Also, by naming LAMV-CF in a planned gift you automatically become a member of the Legacy Circle.
Top 10 Things You Can Do Today to Leave a Legacy
- Prepare a will and leave a Planned Gift (Bequest) of cash to LAMV-CF. Bequests are simple and can be for a specific dollar amount, residual amount, or percentage of assets. LAMV-CF offers sample bequest language below. Note: An LAMV-CF Donor Advised Fund can greatly expand your planned giving options. Please see the information in the box below.
SAMPLE BEQUEST LANGUAGE LAMV-CF STOCK DONATION FORM
- Leave a bequest or planned gift of appreciated property to LAMV-CF. Appreciated securities (stock/mutual fund shares), personal assets, or real estate property are especially favorable from a tax perspective. And, if you have a house you are currently living in, you can donate it, get a tax deduction now, and continue to live there for your lifetime.
- Name LAMV - CF as a beneficiary of one of your retirement funds, such as your IRA, 401k, 403b, or pension. It is simple (often an online form) and can avoid significant taxes (often double taxation).
- Purchase a new life insurance policy, naming LAMV-CF as the beneficiary, or do this for a life insurance policy that you already own.
- Give a gift that pays you income while you are living. Life Income Gifts, such as Charitable Remainder Trusts or Charitable Gift Annuities can give you a tax deduction now and then provide lifetime income. These vehicles are often ideal after you have maximized your annual giving.
- Give closely-held stock, interest in your business, or patents, mineral rights, etc.
- Transfer your private foundation to a Donor-Advised Fund at LAMV-CF. By doing this you retain most of the benefits of a private foundation without worrying about administration and tax costs. Successor advisors can be named in a DAF.
- Remember loved ones or honor those in the community through memorial or honorary planned gifts.
- Encourage family and friends to leave planned gifts to nonprofits.
- Ask your financial advisor, estate attorney, and CPA to include charitable giving as part of their counsel to clients.
A LAMV-CF Donor Advised Fund can save time and money while being a convenient and powerful estate planning vehicle.
- If you’d like to give planned gifts to LAMV-CF and other charities, you can direct your bequest to a Donor Advised Fund (DAF) at LACF. In the DAF agreement, you can specify the charities you’d like to direct planned gifts too. Then, if you change your mind, you can easily change your DAF agreement for free rather than making an appointment with your attorney to change bequest directions in your will.
- Many charities cannot accept stock, real estate, or other physical assets. Give your security, asset, or property to LAMV-CF. We’ll sell them and place the proceeds in your DAF for distribution to LAMV-CF and other charities.
- You can set up your DAF as an endowment, so your planned gift generates income that is given to nonprofits forever. You can specify which nonprofits receive the endowment income or allow LAMV-CF to provide grants for the best use in the community.
- Give the gift of philanthropy to your children. Name them as successor advisors to your DAF and they can carry on your legacy by giving from your funded DAF after you pass away.
Have you already included LAMV-CF in your estate plans? Let us know by filling out the LAMV-CF Legacy Circle Membership Confirmation form.
Questions? We’re here to help you! Please contact Adin Miller, Executive Director, LACF: 650-949-5908 | email@example.com
Los Altos Mountain View Community Foundation is recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization. All gifts are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Tax ID#77-0273721.