Job Description: Director, E3 Youth Philanthropy
- Reports to the Executive Director
- Requires evening and weekend work
- Salary: $15,000 per year (.25 FTE) (the position requires active management for 10 months per year)
About Los Altos Community Foundation (LACF)
LACF focuses on the communities of Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, and Mountain View, providing a unique blend of programs, grantmaking, donor advised funds, incubation of nonprofits, and community building initiatives. Since our inception in 1991, we have granted more than $12M locally.
LACF’s work is supported by a diverse funding base of local foundations, donor advised funds, as well as corporate, city, and individual donors. Our operating budget of $650K is augmented with pass-through grants of $2M annually that expand the value of our investment in the community. We currently manage over $17M in donor advised funds and partner with local funders on grantmaking opportunities.
E3 Youth Philanthropy Program Overview
A managed program of LACF, E3 Youth Philanthropy educates, engages, and empowers local high school youth to develop the knowledge and skills needed to make positive change in the local communities of Mountain View, Los Altos, and Los Altos Hills. Program participants meet from August through May, with some planning during June and July.
The objectives of the program include:
- Learn about the needs of the local community
- Give hands-on exposure to philanthropy, service, non-profits, and grantmaking
- Develop leadership skills
- Help participants define and connect to their personal and group values and develop empathy
- Develop request for proposals, evaluate applications, and make grants
- Plan service projects and participate in volunteer events in the local community
The E3 Youth Philanthropy Director is responsible for planning and carrying out the curriculum of the E3 Youth Philanthropy program throughout the year. E3 is a youth development program with the Director providing the environment, direction, and leadership development opportunities.
The Director will spend an average of 10 hours per month (primarily August through May) developing curriculum and other opportunities for E3 Youth philanthropy, planning and carrying out weekly evening sessions, coordinating service projects, attending service projects when feasible and communicating with E3 students, their parents, community/philanthropy leaders, and nonprofits.
- Develop, update, and implement curriculum for the youth philanthropy program
- Plan and conduct a parent orientation meeting at the beginning of the program
- With the E3 Leadership Board, plan agendas, schedule speakers, visits to nonprofits and educational sessions
- Serve as the main point of contact for the program
- Maintain records of sessions, service projects, etc. on LACF shared drive
- Build relationships and create opportunities for students to develop leadership skills, including working in a team, communicating with adults, and speaking to a group
- Recruit, interview, and select students from area high schools for the program
- Ensure professional correspondence between E3 members and community organizations
- Provide updates, photos, and videos from program activities to LACF for use in publications
Design and administer a pre- and post-survey of youth participants and their parents/guardians
- Hold an end-of-year event for students and families
- Provide a year-end report to Los Altos Community Foundation
- Represent the E3 program at LACF events
- Attend weekly LACF staff meetings
- Communicate, as needed, with LACF Executive Director and staff on progress, accomplishments, issues, and needs
- Valid California Driver’s license
- Successful completion of criminal background check
- BA or equivalent in work experience
- Experience in working with youth
- Familiarity or work experience with the Mountain View/Los Altos/surrounding community
- Expertise in speaking to a group
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject section of the email list: LAST NAME, FIRST NAME - E3 Director, using your name instead of what’s listed in the subject section example.
The application process will open on April 15, 2021, and remain open until the job is filled. No phone calls, please. Learn more about LACF at losaltoscf.org.
LACF is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.